Phillip S. Swift
- 2003: Ontario Land Surveyor (OLS), Commission number 1879.
- 1979: British Columbia Land Surveyor (BCLS), Commission number 577.
- Determination of boundaries:
- giving priority to the evidence in accordance with common law and statute law.
- Record search: documentary evidence relating to the land under survey and the land adjoining, (e.g. Land Title, Registry, Crown Land, Municipal, Archive and private survey records).
- Field research: thorough field investigations of the best available evidence of all lines, boundaries, and corners of the land under survey.
- Contracts and survey specifications.
- Directing and teaching staff in field and office procedures
- Expert witness:
- 2017: Friday Harbour Resorts v. 2138746 Ontario Inc, 2017 (ON SC)7444 adverse possession, abandonment or overburdening right-of-way, prescriptive easement.
- 1992: B.C. Emmett v. Arbutus Bay Estates Ltd., 1992 CanLII 269 (BC SC), extent of public ownerhship of road, impacting riparian rights and access to lands beyond, Mayne Island, B.C.
- 1980's: McQuiggan v..., rectification of easement, referenced in the deed as a "constructed" road, distinguished from inaccurate plan, Salt Spring Island (S.S.I.), Cowichan District.
- Field to finish:
- fieldwork, computations and draughting for control surveys, legal surveys and topographic surveys.
- Least-squares networks:
- Standard for data reduction: three-dimensional GPS, total station and spirit level observations simultaneously processed on the ellipsoid with geoid model.
- Placed, observed and adjusted 70 third-order horizontal control stations for the City of Toronto; a dozen or so third-order horizontal control stations and vertical benchmarks for the City of Markham; about a dozen second-order vertical benchmarks in the Town of Milton, and 6 COSINE second-order vertical benchmarks in Stouffville, Ontario.
- LiDAR and Geographic Information Services (GIS):
- LiDAR thinning and classification of 15 million aerial LiDAR datapoints and hundreds of orthophotos to map 85 hectares in Milton for watershed analysis, producing half-metre contours on an orthophoto composite and on an elevation choropleth, merged with environmental mapping shapefiles and cadastral fabric in 2016.
- Pre-engineering route surveys:
- Q.E.W., Hwys. 23, 400, 401, 403 and 410 for Ministry of Transportation Ontario.
- Major MacKenzie Dr. (Regional Road 25) from Dufferin St. to Bathurst St. for The Regional Municipality of York, Ontario.
- Thompson Rd. South from Derry Rd. to Louis St. Laurent Ave. in Milton, Ontario.
- Creditview Dr. from Bovaird Dr. to Wanless Dr. in Brampton, Ontario.
- Canadian Pacific Railway from Mississauga Road to Chinguacousy Road in Brampton, Ontario.
- 2009 and 2010 sidewalk programs from Town of Markham, Ontario.
- Quality control surveys for highway construction:
- Gardiner Expressway bridges over the Humber River for the City of Toronto, Ontario.
- Williams Parkway Bridge over the CNR, Brampton, Ontario.
- 10 km. of the Inland Island Highway for the Ministry of Transportation and Highways near Courtenay.
- Boundary surveys:
- Five 1000-acre Crown Land District Lots in Sechelt.
- 12km highway to Mt. Washington ski resort;
- Six Canada Land Surveys Act Indian Reserve retracement surveys;
- more than 150 plans of survey, reference plans and subdivision plans;
- about 500 building location surveys.
- Technical surveys:
- Alignments, cross-sections, profiles;
- Monitoring surveys: precision settlement study of 6 km Mississauga water main along the Lakeshore and up Dixie Road past Dundas, 1.8m dia. pipe buried 30m under CNR, CPR and QEW.
- Topographic surveys:
- Surfaces and Volumes: stockpiles, ponds, original ground, post-strip, pregrade and finished grade.
- Scores of land development topographic surveys comprising thousands of hectares of land in southern Ontario.
- Construction stakeout:
- Commercial and residential building stakeouts including horizontal and vertical control, grades, curbs, excavations, shorings, footings, walls and final location surveys.
- Computer skills:
- Member: Provincial Survey Records Index Implementation Task Force (PSRI), Face-to-Face and Teleconference meetings.
- 126th Association of Ontario Land Surveyors (AOLS) Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Niagara Falls ON, Opening Ceremonies, President's Report, Russ Hogan, Commission Reports, Keynote Speaker: Eric Termuende, Business Sessions, Seminars: Teraview on the Web & OnLand, Ken Wilkinson, SRD Field Notes, Tim Hartly, The Need for Surveyors, David Horwood, Fees for Research. Policy on Sketches, Bob Halliday.
- Member: PSRI
- South Central Regional Group (SCRG) Fall Meeting, Markham Convention Centre. Izaak de Rijcke, LL.M., O.L.S.: Boundary and Fence Line Disputes, and: What duty does the Surveyor Owe to a Neighbour? Business Meeting.
- 22nd Annual Geodetic Picnic, Nottawasaga Inn Resort and Conference Centre, Alliston. Ron Berg, O.L.S. and James Ferguson, O.L.S.: Then and Now: Forty Years of GPS. Pierre Heroux, NRCan: Building Information Modelling Roland Mangold, BIMRAY, Ontario's Imagery and Elevation Data Holdings, Land Information Ontario. Surveying from a Constructor's Point of View, Melissa Maki, AECON Construction.
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System; updated certificate.
- 125th AOLS AGM in Ottawa ON, Opening Ceremonies, Tania Bigstone, Sophie Morin & Murray Purcell: Our Reason for Being, Brian Ballantyne: Contribution of Surveyors to the Development of Canada, Keynote Speaker: Natalie Panek, Mayor Jim Watson, Business Sessions, Seminars: Andrew Leyzack, Ryan Harris, Denis Hains: Hydrography, Underwater Archaeology & Collaboration = Success!, Mark Sampson & Committee: Liability Insurance Adventures & How to Protect Your Business, Marie-Claude Arguin, Tony Brown, Prashant Shukle & Robert Rioux: Overcoming Tragedy: A Surveyor's Response to Fort McMurray and Lac Megantic. Mary-Lynn Dickson: The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and Canada's Submission.
- AOLS Seminar in Edward Village Markham Hotel, Markham, ON: Paul C. Wyman, O.L.S.: Survey Equipment Theory, Use, Maintenance and Adjustment.
- 57th SCRG AGM Seminar in Etobicoke: Ken Wilkinson, O.L.S.: Update on Digital Plan Submissions. Candidate speeches and business meeting.
- SCRG Fall Meeting, Woodbine Racetrack, Vaughan. Emad Louis: Leadership & Influencing Others. Council update, business meeting.
- 21st Annual Geodetic Picnic, Nottawasaga Inn Resort and Conference Centre, Alliston. Ron Berg, O.L.S. and James Ferguson, O.L.S.: Current State of Reference Systems in Ontario. NRCan: PPP/TRX, RTN, Big Data.
- SCRG Spring Meeting, Woodbridge. Ron Stewart, O.L.S., C.L.S.: Special Problems with Water Boundaries and Review of Basic Principles, business meeting.
- 124th AOLS AGM in London ON, Business Sessions, Keynote Speaker, Seminars: Theresa Syer: Customer Service, Lawrence Arcand, P.Eng.: Subsurface Utility Survey Data, Marty Nisbet, O.L.S.: Practical GPS.
- Seminar in North Toronto: Bill Wymann, O.L.S.: Measurement Adjustment Seminar.
- 56th SCRG AGM Woodbridge, seminar by Ken Wilkinson, O.L.S.: Land Registration Update, Candidate speeches and business meeting.
- SCRG Seminar in Woodbridge: Paul Wyman, O.L.S.: Everything you Want to Know about Integration of Surveys.
- 20th Annual Geodetic Picnic, Isaiah Tubbs Resort, Picton, ON: Dominique Chabot PhD., Case studies on the generation of high-resolution orthorectified aerial imagery and digital elevation models using a small unmanned aircraft.; Tim Hartley. Five Years into Integrated Surveys.,
- SCRG Seminar in Woodbridge: Izaak de Rijcke LL.M., O.L.S.: Case Law Update for Surveyors on Easements.
- Seminar in Markham: Brent Taylor CLS, BCLS: Getting it Right – Ontario.
- 123rd AOLS AGM in Deerhurst ON, Business Sessions, Keynote Speaker, ACLS Meeting, Seminars: Costco Surveys, Izaak de Rijcke, Integrated Technologies, Northway, Plenary Sessions etc.
- 55th SCRG AGM Woodbridge: Candidate speeches and business meeting.
- 19th AOLS Geomatics Picnic in Peterborough: Ron Mak, OLS: Parcel Mapping for Boundary Solutions, MNRF's Survey Record Holdings, UAC Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.
- 122nd AOLS AGM in Toronto ON, including: Business Sessions, Deputy Minister David O’Toole Keynote Speaker,Veterans' dinner, two speeches, ACLS Meeting, Ontario Chapter,Seminars: GIS Data Trends, BIM, Automating Data Alignment Mark Tulloch Charge to New Surveyors Convocation Lunch, Brian Ballantyne: Boundaries between Case Studies and Case Law
- 54th SCRG AGM Seminar in Woodbridge: Izaak de Rijcke LL.M., O.L.S.: Road and Highway Boundaries: A Brief Case Law Update.
- 18th AOLS Geomatics Picnic at Alliston, moderated by James Ferguson, including Philippe Lamothe from NRCan: Height Modernization. Kevin Perkins: Indoor navigation, Dan Lymer: Toronto Control, David Janssen: Mobile Terrestrial Laser Scanning , Ron Berg: Picnic Coordinate Quiz detailing the seven flavours of CSRS , 4 hr. seminar followed by a BBQ lunch and interaction with equipment suppliers.
- Association of Canada Lands Surveyors (ACLS) AGM in Niagara Falls: Brent Taylor, CLS, BCLS (642): Getting it Right, 4 hr. seminar, lunch.
- 53rd SCRG Seminar in Woodbridge: Imad Zaoude, B. Eng, EIT: Underground Utilities Survey.
- 121st AOLS AGM, including: Neil Hetherington Habitat for Humanity, Nigel Day Committee update, George Wortman Charge to New Surveyors at the Convocation Luncheon, Benefiting from BIM, Social Media Presentation, Session on Monitoring, Brian Ballantyne: Debunking 13 Fallacies of Riparian Bounds Version 2.0., and ACLS meeting.
- Awarded citation at AOLS AGM: "CITATION for many years of devoted service in furthering THE PROFESSION OF SURVEYING and the betterment of this Association. Presented on the 23rd day of February, 2012 at Ottawa, Ontario, Canada".
- 120th AOLS AGM, including: Izaak de Rijcke OLS (1458) et al.: Ontario Digital Cadastre Corporation; Susan MacGregor OLS (1656): Surveyor-General’s Charge to New Surveyors; Luc St. Pierre QLS: Digital Cadastre in Québec; Dan Cormier OLS (1801) and Bill Snell (1601): Survey Research; Nigel Day OLS (1748) and Bruce Millar: Attracting Young People to the Profession; CLS AGM; Jowi Taylor: The Six String Nation.
- Senior Councilor, AOLS;
- Presented 4-hour seminar on Least-Squares for Cadastral Surveys at AGM of Association of British Columbia Land Surveyors (ABCLS) in Victoria, B.C.
- 119th AOLS AGM: Moderator for seminars;
- Moderator and presenter at Continuing Education seminars on Integrated Surveys;
- Spearheaded second round of Integrated Surveys practical seminars, consulting with presenters.
- Cited for work on the Interpretive Guide, in: Integrated Surveys: Charting Ontario's Land in an Accurate and Consistent Manner by Spiros Pagiatakis, PhD, P.Eng, Professor of Geodesy and Chair of the Department of Earth and Space Science and Engineering at York University. Toronto, 2011, Fall, Vol. 54 - No. 4 Ontario Professional Surveyor (OPS);
- Council meetings and Strategic Planning sessions.
- Intermediate Councilor, AOLS;
- Published Integration Guide for Performance Standards for the Practice of Professional Land Surveying;
- 15th Geomatics Picnic.
- Published: Least Squares - an Amazing Tool for Cadastral Surveys in V53, No. 3, 2010 Summer OPS
- Cited in O.L.S. notice for helping to shape the seminars on Practical Integration for Cadastral Surveys: AOLS April 2010 issue of Between the Lines;
- Council Representative for: the Eastern Regional Group (ERG), the Continuing Education Committee (CEC); the Integrated Surveys Committee (ISC); and the Survey Review Department Committee, (SRDC);
- 118th AOLS AGM. Huntsville, Izaak de Rijcke Is there a Cadastral Crisis in Ontario?, Tony Clement, Dan Mallory Climbing Everest, Gisell Kovary Generational Identities, Paul Beech Sault St. Marie Innovation Centre.
- Council meetings in February, March, and April, as well as strategic planning sessions in July and September; Insurance Advisory Committee (IAC) meeting in January; presented ISC paper at South Central Regional Group (SCRG) AGM in January; CEC and SRIC meetings in April. Pat Hills presentation on integration at SCRG Spring meeting in May. SRDC meeting in Hamilton in June.
- Junior Councilor, AOLS;
- Published a Paper and photograph in V52, No. 4, 2009 Fall OPS named: Why we Love our Monuments;
- Organized summer SCRG meeting at the Faculty Club
with presentations on Liability Insurance by Chad Hancock, Sheron Metcalf, Paul J. Gregoire (1595), and Boundaries Act by Dr. N. Lorraine Petzold (1234).
- Past Chair of the SCRG;
- Council Representative for: Kawartha Haliburton Regional Group (KHRG), the IAC ; ISC; and the Survey Records Index Committee, (SRIC).
- Presented Powerpoint on Integrated Surveys to fall meeting of KHRG.
- 14th Geomatics Picnic.
- Council meetings in February, April, July and September.
- Regional Group summer meetings in Toronto and Peterborough, and AGMs in Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton and Peterborough;
- four IAC meetings and eight ISC teleconferences.
- 117th AOLS AGM: Izaak de Rijcke Cadastral Issues , Ron Stewart Water Boundaries , Brian Maloney, Crown Land Information , Educational Foundation AGM.
- Chair, SCRG;
- Published Surveying Takes Time in V51, No. 3, 2008 Summer
- Published report and photography on creating a
Record Book for roll-call: AOLS February 2008 issue of Between the Lines;
Presented David Lambden Award at Ryerson University;
Chaired SCRG meetings; Seminars: Changes to Crown Land Survey Instructions;
- 13th Geomatics Picnic.
Summer Seminars on Regulations;
- Seminar on Condos; Standard First Aid refresher course;
Conflict Management Skills for Professional Land Surveyors AOLS;
AGM seminars by ISC, Canada Land Surveyors (CLS) and Izaak de Rijcke Field Notes and Evidence.
- Treasurer, SCRG;
- Published a White Paper in V50, No. 4, 2007 Fall OPS on Integrated Cadastral Surveys;
SCRG AGM: Candidate Speeches; SCRG Spring Meeting Seminar: Keys to Retiring on Your Terms; AutoDESK Experience the Possibilities seminar on Civil 3D; SCRG Summer Meeting; 12th Geomatics Picnic in Belleville: VRS, NRCan and Virtual LiDAR seminars and Hydrographic field trip. SCRG Fall Meeting, WSIB - WH&S Obligations Seminar;
- Secretary, SCRG;
AOLS AGM: The Atwell-Hicks Story; "Growing Through Entrepreneurship"; Convocation Luncheon; Underground Utilities Report; Business Meeting; ISC Report, ISC Meeting, SCRG motion; Presidents' Luncheon; SCRG AGM: Candidate Speeches. SCRG Spring meeting: Water Boundaries Seminar. SCRG Fall meeting: Integrated Surveys Seminar. AOLS Seminar: George McFarlane O.L.S., Subsurface Utility Mapping;
OLS Convocation; WHMIS; Mapping of Subsurface Utilities;
Seminars: Land Survey Records Index; Roads and the new Municipal Act; Saving your Assets and Intellectual Property; Misdescriptions; Toronto control network;
Seminars: Water Boundaries; Highways and By-ways of Ontario;
Statutes Exam; Professional Lecture Series; Practical Applications in Geospatial Information Sciences; Boundaries Act Hearing; GPS for Cadastral Surveying; OLS Professional Examinations; project, oral and written exams, 7th Geodetic Picnic;
2000: Survey Law 1; Survey Law 2; Management Seminar on Marketing Strategies; Professional Lecture Series; First Aid; Industrial Accident Prevention Association seminar; WHMIS;
1999: Management Seminar on communication styles;
1994-5: Examiner, professional field examinations, B.C.;
1983-5: Secretary, President, then Past President, Vancouver Island Group, Association of B.C. Land Surveyors (ABCLS);
1984-98: Marine Radio Operator's Certificate; Safe Boating Certificate; First Aid; FAC; B.C. Conservation Certificate;
1982: Examiner, intermediate field examinations; photo essay in the Link quarterly;
1981-2: Member, then Chair, Historical and Biographical Committee;
1980: 5-day ACLS Law course with Dr. Alex McEwen: Institute of Ocean Sciences, Saanich, B.C.;
1975-9: BCLS Professional oral and written Examinations; Legal Implications for Practising Engineers; Photogrammetry; Planning and Strata Title Act seminars;
1969: Ryerson Polytechnical Institute, Photography (Fall term), Toronto;
1968-9: Rochdale College charter resident, Toronto.
- Director, SCRG;
Internet Movie Data Base
O-FENCE-IVE (boundary survey for fence construction), Holmes on Homes, Season 5, episode 5053;
- 2005-10: Member, ISC;
- BCLS AGM: 25-year Veteran's pin; seminars on Leadership; Survey Law; address by Lieutenant Governor the Honourable Iona Campagnolo;
- AOLS AGM: Education Foundation meeting; seminars on Converging Technologies; ISO standards; Rules of Order;
SCRG AGM, Candidate Speeches;
AOLS Seminars: Easements; 11th Geodetic Picnic: Underground Infrastructure Measurement Systems; Integrated Surveys Committee Report; Datums and Reference Frames; LandXML; Overview of Spatial Data Management and Location Based Services; Practical GPS for Surveyors;
- 2008 - 2018: Land Surveyor, Rady-Pentek & Edward Surveying Ltd., Woodbridge, Ontario.
- 2007 - 2008: Project Manager, Bennett Young Limited, Etobicoke, Ontario.
- 2001 - 2007: Project Surveyor, Rady-Pentek & Edward Surveying Ltd., Downsview, Ontario.
- 1999 - 2001: Supervisor and Articled Surveyor, J.D. Barnes, Ltd., Markham, Ontario.
- 1998 - 1999: Supervisor, Sexton McKay Limited, Ontario Land Surveyors, Thornhill, Ontario.
- 1996 - 1998: Managing Land Surveyor, Courtenay, B.C. Branch Office, Bazett Land Surveying Inc.
- 1979 - 1996: Owner-Manager and sole proprietor of Phillip S. Swift, B.C. Land Surveyor.
- 1975 - 1979: Articled Surveyor employed by A.R. Hardie and Associates, B.C. Land Surveyors.
- 1972 - 1974: Survey technician employed by Wolfe-Milner, Thomson and Hardie, B.C. Land Surveyors.
- 1971: Chainman employed by Adrian Wolfe-Milner, B.C.L.S.
Back to the Top